Watch Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth explain Ubuntu’s mobile strategy and what it offers industry partners.
Ubuntu Unleashed 2013 Edition: Covering 12.10 and 13.04 (8th Edition)
by: Matthew Helmke
publisher: Sams Publishing, published: 2012-12-15
sales rank: 28624
price: $26.85 (new), $22.99 (used)
Ubuntu Unleashed 2013 Edition is filled with unique and advanced information for everyone who wants to make the most of the Ubuntu Linux operating system. This new edition has been thoroughly revised and updated by a long-time Ubuntu community leader to reflect the exciting new Ubuntu 12.10 (“Quantal Quetzal”) and the forthcoming Ubuntu 13.04.
Former Ubuntu Forum administrator Matthew Helmke covers all you need to know about Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 installation, configuration, productivity, multimedia, development, system administration, server operations, networking, virtualization, security, DevOps, and more—including intermediate-to-advanced techniques you won’t find in any other book.
Helmke presents up-to-the-minute introductions to Ubuntu’s key productivity and Web development tools, programming languages, hardware support, and more. You’ll find new or improved coverage of navigation via Unity Dash, wireless networking, VPNs, software repositories, new NoSQL database options, virtualization and cloud services, new programming languages and development tools, monitoring, troubleshooting, and more.
- Configure and customize the Unity desktop and make the most of the Dash
- Get started with multimedia and productivity applications, including LibreOffice
- Manage Linux services, users, and software packages
- Administer and run Ubuntu from the command line (with added coverage of stdin, stdout, sdterr, redirection, and file comparison)
- Automate tasks and use shell scripting
- Provide secure remote access and configure a secure VPN
- Manage kernels and modules
- Administer file, print, email, proxy, LDAP, and HTTP servers (Apache or alternatives)
- Learn about new options for managing large numbers of servers
- Work with databases (both SQL and the newest NoSQL alternatives)
- Get started with virtualization
- Build a private cloud with Juju and Charms
- Learn the basics about popular programming languages including Python, PHP, Perl, and new alternatives such as Go and Rust